Asphalt Roofing Shingle Installation
Reliable Roofing Installation
Recommended by your family and friends
“I wanted to express my appreciation for the demonstrated professionalism exhibited by your installers. As a mechanical engineer, I have had some reasonable experience with the construction trades and was immediately impressed with the care and attention to detail shown by your crew from the first day on the job”
Asphalt Roofing Shingle Installation
Asphalt roof shingles are the most popular roofing material used on homes across North America, and with good reason. They are designed to protect a home through decades of weathering with minimal upkeep, and are available in hundreds of colors and styles.
Readily Available and a Great Value
In additional to offering a variety of style choices, asphalt shingles are also widely available throughout the U.S. and Canada, and are easy to install, making them an attractive option for professional roofing contractors to offer to their customers. And while getting a new roof is by no means an inexpensive project, asphalt shingles are among the most affordable options available. In fact, if an existing roof deck (the structural surface beneath the roofing system) is in good condition, new asphalt shingles can even be installed over older shingles, reducing the need (and cost) of a tear off of the old roofing. Check with your contractor to see if this is a viable money-saving option for your roofing project.
Roof Shingle Types
There are three major categories of asphalt roofing shingle products available today – strip shingles, dimensional shingles, and luxury shingles. It is important to understand the differences between each type of roofing shingle in order to pick the right product for your home.
"I would recommend this firm highly"
“They are honest, dependable and do very good work for an excellent price.”
Alex V of Pikesville, MD
Schedule My Estimate Today!
Also known as 3-tab shingles (due to the cut of the shingle) or simply strips, strip shingles are the original and most basic asphalt shingles. They are made from a single layer of asphalt and have a very flat appearance that typically offers a slate look. Since they are made from a single layer, they generally weigh and cost less than other asphalt shingles. Prior to designer shingles being introduced in the 1980s, strip shingles were the predominant roofing shingle in the market. Today, strip shingles are used most often used by home builders that manufacture inexpensive homes, or by homeowners who are replacing roofing shingles on residences that already have strip shingles on the roof. CertainTeed strip shingles include products such as CT™ 20 and XT™ 30.
Also known as architectural or laminate shingles, dimensional shingles are the most prevalent asphalt shingles. These products are manufactured with two or more layers of asphalt that are fused together for a thicker and richer multi-dimensional appearance, and are engineered to replicate the wood shake and natural slate roofing aesthetics. Dimensional shingles are typically heavier than strip shingles, and have improved warranty protection. CertainTeed’s Landmark® shingles are a prototypical design for a dimensional roofing shingle.
Luxury shingles are the highest-quality laminated shingles available, offering a differentiated appearance or functionality that outclasses that of dimensional shingles. Apart from being shingle ‘heavyweights’ that offer premium protection for weathering, luxury shingles are stunning to look upon, presenting the highest quality, coloration, and dimensionality. These products offer the most realistic representation of the old-world wood shake and quarried slate roofing. CertainTeed’s Grand Manor® and Carriage House® products are prime examples of Luxury roofing shingles.
The Dynamic Benefits of Asphalt
Due to modern engineering techniques and the dynamic properties of asphalt, manufacturers are capable of producing numerous specialty products that exist across all shingle types. These include shingles that fight algae growth, offer enhanced resistance to damaging hail, and offer cool roof color technologies that reflect the heat of the sun to keep homes cooler and can reduce the expenses of air conditioning. Depending on your location, choosing a specialty shingle can even reduce your insurance costs (e.g. – an impact-resistant shingle installed on a home in a hail zone). In addition, asphalt shingles are naturally fire resistant, making them an ideal choice for areas where wildfires are prominent.
Interested in exploring the different options available to you? Try out CertainTeed’s ColorView® home exterior visualizer tool – you can even upload a picture of your own home to try out different roofing, siding, paint and trim combinations to help bring your remodeling vision to reality.
The Columbia Roofing Inc System and Timeline
- Contact us to schedule a convenient appointment time for our Qualified Sales Team to visit your property
- Appointment: During the appointment, the qualified sales team will identify your needs, the scope of the project, and provide a fair, accurate price
- Project Begins: The CRI Production Department reviews the signed paperwork and deposit, orders materials, and outlines the overall project
- Scheduling: CRI will provide a schedule based on the project outline. All dates are ‘weather permitting.’
- Material delivery, loading and site prep: Our production manager will notify you when materials will be delivered. Project managers will perform a site inspection and formulate the plan for work if the project warrants it.
- Tearoff and underlayment: After taking protective measures to protect customers’ property, this potentially dangerous portion of the project is carefully monitored by onsite software providing weather information.
- Shingling the roof; installing gutters; installing windows, doors or siding: By using the latest technology and techniques, our courteous, well trained, certified master specialists perform quality work, efficiently
- Cleanup: We clean and remove all trash as well as magnetic roll your yard to collect any stray debris.
- Final Payment and Warranties: After our Field Supervisor qualifies the job to our standards of excellence with owners, we request final payment and provide the owner with their warranty package.
Gutters & Downspouts
Ready for a Better Home Improvement Experience?
Proud Member of Maryland Roofing Association
Columbia Roofing Inc
Best Locally Owned & Operated Ashpalt Shingle Roofing and Contracting Company
in Howard, Baltimore, Anne Arundel and
Throughout Maryland since 1977
6363 S Hanover Rd | Elkridge, MD 21075
Phone: 410-379-6100 | Fax: 410-379-0125